ShabanEight month of the Islamic Calendar.
Meaning: Consecutively escalating. (Undisturbed increase). Derived from the word "shu'ba", which means branch. The Arabs used to branch out during this month to look for water.
With the Arrival of the Shaban moon numerous blessings are showered upon us. Just as the initiation of rainfall begins with "pitter patter" such blessings reach us in the same accord and fashion.
With the Beginning of Shaban blessings are initiated which progressively escalate so that by mid-Shaban the blessings have reached a considerable amount and finally such blessings reached a considerable amount and finally such blessings reach their peak by the end of Ramadan.
For example just as a farmer prepares for a fruitful harvest by harrowing his acreage so that the soil may readily retain water, in contrast our souls are geared by the presence of such blessings in Shaban effectively preparing us for a fruitful and completely advantageous Ramadan.
Our Holy Prophet has said, "Shaban is my month and Ramadan the month of Allah Ta'aalaa." (Daylami)
1. "Laila-tul Baraa'at (Night of forgiveness) the fifteenth night of Shaban.
2. "Qibla", the direction to be adopted within salaah, was reverted back to the "Ka'aba" in Makkah (after being coverted to Baitul Muqaddas in Jerusalem for a short period of time). This took place two years after Hijraah on the 15th of Shaban.
3. Fasting in the blessed month of Ramadan was made compulsory in the year 2 A.H. on the 25th of Shaban.
4. Three years A.H. Hadhrat Hafsa (R.A) was joined in matrimony with the Prophet .
5. In this very month forty two years later Hadhrat Hafsa (R.A) took leave from this world.
6. The birth of the Prophet's grandson Hadhrat Hussain (R.A.) took place, four years on the fifth of Shaban.
7. The battle of Banu Mustaliq took place in Shaban.
8. During the above mentioned battle, the "Aayah of Tayammum" (Purifying with sand before salaah) was revealed, in the year 5 A.H.
9. The daughter of the beloved Prophet Umme Kulthum (R.A.) took leave from this world, in the 9 A.H.
- Monthly Profiles Of The Islamic Calender
- The Twelve Months of the Islamic Lunar Calendar
- The Kabba. Mecca, Saudi Arabia.
- The Islamic Calendar
- Virtues of Muharram and Fasting on 'Ashura', The SALIH AL-MUNAJJID
- Fasting the Day of ‘Ashura’
- Fasting the 9th & 10th of Muharram: Virtues & Rules
- The Month of Muharram
- What is the Importance of Muharram?
- Significance of the Months of Muharram & Safar in Islam
- Importance of Ramadan – What Makes Ramadan
- What is Ramadan and why is it important in the Muslim faith?
- Ramadan and its significance
- 10 Reasons for Fasting in Ramadan