TravelMeaning: This word means "whistling of the wind". When this name was assigned to this month, it was probably a windy time of the year. As mentioned earlier, most of the months were named according to weather conditions at the time. However, since they are based on the moon, the months shift about 11 days every year. So, the seasons do not necessarily correspond to the name of the month anymore.
This time of the year was considered to be cursed as many catastrophes and calamities took place. However this belief has been proven to be false and totally without foundation (absurd).
This can also be confirmed by the following hadeeth.
Hadhrat Jaabir (R.A.) has said that, "I have heard the Prophet saying, the descending of illness and evil superstition befalling in the month of Safar is untrue." (Muslim)
1. The Battle of Abwaa took place on 12th of Safar in the year 2 A.H.
2. The Battle of Khaibar took place in the year 7 A.H.
3. Hadhrat Ali (R A ) married Prophet daughter Hadhrat Fatima (R.A.) in the latter days of Safar 2 A.H.
4. Khubaib Ibn Adey (R.A.) was martyred in Safar in the year 4 A.H. in Makkah.
5. Zaid Ibn Dathina (RA) was martyred in this month in the year 4 A.H. in Makkah.
- Monthly Profiles Of The Islamic Calender
- The Twelve Months of the Islamic Lunar Calendar
- The Kabba. Mecca, Saudi Arabia.
- The Islamic Calendar
- Virtues of Muharram and Fasting on 'Ashura', The SALIH AL-MUNAJJID
- Fasting the Day of ‘Ashura’
- Fasting the 9th & 10th of Muharram: Virtues & Rules
- The Month of Muharram
- What is the Importance of Muharram?
- Significance of the Months of Muharram & Safar in Islam
- Importance of Ramadan – What Makes Ramadan
- What is Ramadan and why is it important in the Muslim faith?
- Ramadan and its significance
- 10 Reasons for Fasting in Ramadan